There's nobody here but us chickens.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Tax me!

I don't know if Astarte went to clarity camp when she was young, but she certainly can pare down a clumsy, mumbly issue into a tidy message of purpose. Here, on tax, she nails the progressive argument for taxation. There is no muddy preamble, no "I spoke to someone the other day and they said this, which shows this, therefore that"; it's straight to the point and sharp as a nail. The essence is encapsulated in the final paragraph:
Paying taxes is making an investment into your country. Without those taxes, basic services would cease to be available. We would be open to attack, and we would lose the innovation that this country is proud of. Paying your taxes invests in the safety, innovation and security of this country. We should all pay our taxes.
I'd like to see equally elegant counterpoints to this kind of argument, preferably not along the lines of "the government is a big crook". I'm sure they're out there, but I don't see em much....