There's nobody here but us chickens.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Series of explosions - almost certainly terrorist attacks

Nothing you'll get here you couldn't get from google or the BBC.

I'm posting this to reassure that I'm fine, as is Disa, and from the numerous reports I have from friends and family, my sphere has been spared from the traumas occurring round the city. Three Two of the explosions were within ten minutes of my house, and one across the road from where I work. I may post some updates as the day progresses, and if anyone wants to use comments to declare their situation then do so.

UPDATE: The death toll is rising; I've been outside to meet with some friends and it seems people are pretty unflustered - this is on Lambs Conduit Street, just metres from Russell square - although police cordons are carving up this part of the city at present.

CORRECTION: The Russell Square and Kings Cross explosions were in fact one explosion in between the two stations. Likewise for Aldgate and Liverpool street.

UPDATE: Typing as I hear it: "They're trying to use the slaughter of innocent people to cow us, to frighten us from doing the things we want to do.... they should not and must not succeed. When they try to intimidate us, we will not be intimidated. When they seek to change our country or our way of life by these methods, we will not be changed.... We will show by our spirit and dignity, and the quiet and true strength there is in the British people, that our way will outlast theirs....This is a very sad day for the British people, but we will hold true to the British way of life." - Tony Blair, 17:30 approx GMT